Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ladies Wear Hats- Step Your Game Up

So I know my blog is called "Pearls and Polish" but every now and then I just have to slip something else in the mix. I think this is actually pretty relevant to my blog because of the elegance that is associated with hats. Like pearls, every woman should have a wide-brimmed hat. It's funny, you don't see very many women wearing those sorts of hats anymore. Our streets are riddled with women wearing baseball caps, newsboy caps,  and even cowboy hats but it is rare to see a woman with a wide-brimmed hat. And no, I'm not talking about the magnificent (and sometimes ridiculous, let's keep it real) works of art that we may see at church. I mean a simple, black, classic,  wide-brimmed hat. So simple, yet it makes such a statement.

See most women don't have the courage to wear a hat. They have tried them on in the store, maybe even purchased one or two...and time after time, they pull them out and try them on in the mirror. They marvel at how fly they look but then talk themselves out of wearing it. I think sometimes we think that we may be "doing too much" by wearing a hat- well, ladies, let's do it. Mediocrity is no longer an option, time to step our game up.

A hat is such a source of power. See, a hat changes both the image that we have of ourselves and that others have of us. A hat can bring out a part of your personality that you wish would emerge. A hat can make a statement about yourself that you have always been afraid to say. It can give you confidence but it definitely takes some to put that hat on your head and walk out the door.

I love this quote about hats:
"A hat is a flag, a shield, a bit of armor, and the badge of femininity. A hat is the difference between wearing clothes and wearing a costume; it's the difference between being dressed and being dressed up; it's the difference between looking adequate and looking your best. A hat is to be stylish in, to glow under, to flirt beneath, to make all others seem jealous over, and to make all men feel masculine about. A piece of magic is a hat." - Martha Sliter

Audrey Hepburn wore some fabulous hats. Here's one: 



And Rihanna:

My personal fav for the floppy hat is Jennifer Lopez. She has been consistently rocking the wide-brimmed floppy for awhile. In fact, I bought a hat just like the one below for the winter a couple of years ago because of her. JLo can seriously rock a hat!


Kim Kardashian also rocked a wide-brimmed floppy. HOT!



So this past weekend, I went to the Atlanta Jazz Festival. I felt it would be the perfect place to debut my new black floppy that I picked up. Voila!



So perlas, let's all grab our hats and take this thing to a whole 'notha level. We want to bring back the days of dressing like our mothers and grandmothers? Well let's throw a hat in the mix...

I love this quote- "Leave everyone wondering which is the more interesting piece of work...you or your hat." ...Besos, P&P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on Pearls and Polish. It's always nice to know that someone is actually reading this! LOL...Besos, P&P.